I first saw this four or five years ago when it was a play by David Auburn running a season at Circa. It remains one of the best Circa plays I've ever seen, with its complexity of character and subtle shifts of plot. All of this hinges entirely on the main character, Catherine, in both the play and the film. Gwyneth Paltrow rises admirably to the challenge and gives a very sensitive and accurate performance as Catherine in the film. Anthony Hopkins is a little hard to grasp as the brilliant mathematician, but Jake Gyllenhaal does a good job of a rather two-dimensional character, carrying his humourous lines with style.
Of course I was apprehensive when I heard there was a movie being made from the play, but David Auburn wrote the screenplay himself, which makes it all right. The dialogue is practically unchanged from the original script. Some of the scenes which were merely recounted in the stageshow are set free by the greater versatility of film, and this gave an added richness to the whole experience.
The cinematography is nice and adds atmosphere without being confusing, and the happy ending really comes across as a true victory for Catherine. We could have done without the added voiceover in the last scene, perhaps, but otherwise it's faithful in intent to the original. Yes. A perfect reproduction of one of my favourite plays. And now it's in a form which I can purchase and keep safe on a shelf forever, which will be nice when I want to relive the beauty of the play itself.
If you've ever thought your father is difficult, if you've ever been tempted by romantic portrayals of academia, if you've ever been let down in your trust of someone you love - this movie will speak to you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
HTML and $\LaTeX$ both work here. Enclose your $\LaTeX$ code in "$" or "\[" as if you were using your favourite editor.