This novel took me less than one day to read. I skipped the boring parts but I get the feeling I didn't miss much (reinforced by my mum, from whom I borrowed it). It's about an 18-year-old girl who falls in love with a 44-year-old man who "instils in her a sense of her own self-worth" and inspires her to make plans to escape the small-town life she grew up with. But then he leaves her because he feels he's tying her down, plus he's afraid to ever give her children (because of his own mother's depression and suicide) and he wants her to be happy with someone who will have children with her.
Oops, did I just give away the entire plot? Well, it is just a love story after all. Plausible but fairly dull, and it gets uncomfortable towards the end.
Today I handed in my last piece of internal assessment and got some exam-week crime fiction from the VUW library :D Alas, Lyell Boyes, we've been too long apart!
Thursday, June 08, 2006
4 comments:
HTML and $\LaTeX$ both work here. Enclose your $\LaTeX$ code in "$" or "\[" as if you were using your favourite editor.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Good lord, that book sounds terrible.
ReplyDeleteMy internal assessment is over too! :D
But now I have to study for the exams. D:
44 year old man? ewwww.
ReplyDeleteSteve, neither The Eden Express nor Mark Vonnegut exist at either Wellington City Libraries or Victoria University Library, so I am sadly unable to follow up this first ever litblog book recommendation. But thank you for recommending!
ReplyDeleteexactly!
ReplyDelete