Tuesday, June 13, 2006
With a Bare Bodkin by Cyril Hare
This is more of a classic murder mystery than Photographs, with all the usual elements - the innocent victim, the multiple suspects, the intrigue, the confusion, the love interest, the surprise ending. It's richly populated with many different types of people and seasoned throughout with that lovely understated British humour. Both the murder and the eventual identity of the murderer came as complete surprises, and the foreshadowing that occurred was not too heavy-handed. Best of all, the climax was brief, sharp and complete, leaving no loose ends to frustrate the reader. My only complaint is that the protagonist (not, in this case, a police officer, but a bystander) shouldn't have got together with his secretary at the end. It was too obvious.
2 comments:
HTML and $\LaTeX$ both work here. Enclose your $\LaTeX$ code in "$" or "\[" as if you were using your favourite editor.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No, I haven't read it, but Wellington City Libraries do have it. The reviews make it sound like a fairly heavy read.
ReplyDeleteI don't usually read so many books this rapidly - right now, it's exam time ;)
I wanted to thank you for stopping by and commenting at my blog-it was so exciting for me! I've loved reading your thoughts on your recent reads, although I am amazed that you find the time to read so much, study for exams, and sleep!!Also, I love Heavenly Creatures too:)
ReplyDelete