Post feed
Comments feed

Monday, November 06, 2006

The Wrong Shoe by Sarah Laing

This is the winner of this year's Sunday Star-Times short story competition. It uses some rather good images, but it doesn't really make sense. I think it was trying to investigate the self we present to strangers, particularly in terms of the freedom we have to reinvent ourselves for a person who isn't familiar with the self we usually use. In the end, though, it didn't seem to go deep enough for a proper exploration of that theme, and the ambiguous ending left me indifferent and unsatisfied.

3 comments:

  1. I actually really liked it, this idea of a woman who essentially wanted to live somebody else's life. But two things ruined it for me:

    1. The ending. Totally WTF.

    2. The September 11th thing didn't seem to be there for any reason other than a cool topical narrative device, which is a pretty cheap thing to use another person's tragedy for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I strongly agree. Way too much symboblic strength for such a pathetic usage.

    Exactly like Nazism in Daddy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gaaarggh! Symbolic! I mean symbolic!

    ReplyDelete

HTML and $\LaTeX$ both work here. Enclose your $\LaTeX$ code in "$" or "\[" as if you were using your favourite editor.