Post feed
Comments feed

Saturday, February 03, 2007

A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking

It surprises me that I haven't bothered to read this book before. After all, it's a classic in its genre; how could I call myself a pop-science fan without having read it? Now that I have finally done so, I really wish I'd done it sooner. A Brief History of Time is a great journey through the history and current status [as at 1988] of cosmology. It's remarkably clear and comprehensible while simultaneously being the shortest book of its type that I've ever read. In addition, reading it earlier would have saved me a whole heap of effort.

Let me explain that last point with a few lists.

My previous reading in this area has consisted of the following:

  • E=mc2 by David Bodanis
    Brilliantly written history of cosmological thought

  • In Search Of Schrödinger's Cat by John Gribbin
    Lots of quantum

  • Schrödinger's Kittens by John Gribbin
    Lots more, updated, quantum

  • The Big Bang Theory by Karen C. Fox
    Thorough explanation of early-universe theories, and some of the philosophy thereof

For comparison, here are some of the features of the opening four chapters of A Brief History of Time:

  • Chapter 1-2
    Brilliantly written history of cosmological thought - in less than half the space that this normally takes in any pop science book

  • Chapter 3
    Thorough explanation of early-universe theories from a man who was on the very bleeding edge of creating some of them at the time

  • Chapter 4
    Lots of quantum, including the only proper explanation of the Uncertainly Principle that I have ever read

And just to complete the point, here is a list of things that I never really understood until reading A Brief History of Time, but of which I now have at least a metaphorical understanding:

  • The modern role of the cosmological constant

  • The uncertainty principle

  • Wave-particle duality

  • Spin [in the particle sense]

  • Entropy and the second law of thermodynamics

  • Symmetry [in the theory sense]

  • Lots of cool stuff about black holes

I should have read it sooner. I really, really should have. Now, though, the best I can do is to read the sequel, The Universe in a Nutshell, before that gets too out of date!

No comments:

Post a Comment

HTML and $\LaTeX$ both work here. Enclose your $\LaTeX$ code in "$" or "\[" as if you were using your favourite editor.