Post feed
Comments feed

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I'm Not There directed by Todd Haynes

This was the best film I've seen since Easy Rider. For me, that's saying an awful lot.

Beyond that, though, it's difficult to know quite what to say. Yes, it had six different actors "playing" Bob Dylan ("representing" would be more accurate). Yes, there were between five and seven different versions of the character, depending which review you read. No, none of them were named Bob Dylan, nor did any of them look like him, except for (ironically) the sole actress.

No, none of that comes near conveying the experience of the film. It was visual poetry. It was non-narrative, it was meticulous, it was metaphorical and literal and heartfelt and objective and confusing. It was all of those things. It blew me away.

Favourite impressions:

  • Cate Blanchett is infinitely better as a man than she ever was as a woman. Not to say that she's no good as a woman, but she's really, amazingly good as a man.

  • Her Dylan, the only literal one, is so exactly modelled on the Dylan of Scorsese's No Direction Home that the attention to detail is enough to make you weep.

  • The Ballad of a Thin Man sequence is legendary.

  • It's been said that every line of dialogue in the film is from life. I recognise enough to believe this.

  • The ending was simply perfect.

  • I didn't know Bob Dylan ever married. (I looked it up afterwards and, sure enough, he married twice and had a number of children.)

  • Fans are idiots. Why can't they take the trouble to watch the film again before putting their inaccurate transcriptions of quotes on the internet?

  • For three days after seeing the film I was in a state of genuine anguish at not owning a copy of Ballad of a Thin Man. Then I gave in and downloaded it from iTunes. I still fully intend to buy the original Highway 61 Revisited album if I can find it in a store.

  • I need to buy the DVD and watch it again. And again.

  • I will never meet anyone, ever, who agrees with me about this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment

HTML and $\LaTeX$ both work here. Enclose your $\LaTeX$ code in "$" or "\[" as if you were using your favourite editor.