Post feed
Comments feed

Sunday, April 18, 2010

They're both body parts. One for a human, one for an animal.

Really good cocktails are hard to track down. On Friday night two of us went hunting at Sojourn bar in the James Cook hotel, on The Terrace.

First up was a Toblerone, comprised of creme de cacao, Frangelico, honey and cream. Although it sounds alarmingly sweet, the combination was very drinkable indeed. I could easily have knocked back a water glass full of this. Perhaps fortunately, I wasn't given the option, as it arrived in a cocktail glass.

While I drowned in chocolate, my companion sampled an Absolut Trouble, made of Grand Marnier, grenadine, some kind of citrus juice, and presumably Absolut vodka as well, all served in a highball glass. It was light, fruity and refreshing, and also eminently drinkable, but without much bite.

For the second round I played it safe and went with my old favourite, the Long Island Iced Tea. I've had plenty of good Long Islands at Sojourn before, so this one was doubly disappointing, with too much ice making it taste thin, and no sign of the complex confluence of diverse ingredients which makes a Long Island what it is.

Meantime my companion was winning this round with a strikingly desirable little thing called an After Dinner: Triple Sec, apricot brandy and lime juice in a cocktail glass. The first two ingredients gave me to think it would be sweet, but the lime juice definitely carried the day, turning a sticky concoction into a bitingly sour sip of wonderfulness. This one was the cocktail we'd been hunting for all night; we left it dead, and with its head we went galumphing to Mac's Brewery for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

HTML and $\LaTeX$ both work here. Enclose your $\LaTeX$ code in "$" or "\[" as if you were using your favourite editor.