This morning I got Let-Me-Google-That-For-You'd.
The existence of this tool has always pissed me right off, even before someone served me with it. I can't imagine a circumstance where you can use it without coming off as both unbearably smug, and also a bit of an idiot. I mean, can we just think about this for a second?
SCENE: Someone asks you a question that could be more easily answered using Google.
You have two options.
OPTION A. Say "that could be more easily answered using Google".
OPTION B. Go to lmgtfy.com. Compose a query which is simple enough that it brings home to the questioner how very stupid they are for not thinking of it themselves, while simultaneously being detailed enough that it will allow the question to be answered (for if the query does not come close to answering the question, you'll be the stupid one in all this). Press Search. Request a tinyurl. Press Go. Watch the animation to make sure it really does convey the full withering force of your contempt for the questioner. Check the results for question-answering ability. Revise as necessary. Paste the tinyurl into whatever medium the questioner is using. Compose a misleadingly helpful message to go around it. Send the fruits of your labours to your victim, and relax in the knowledge that they are receiving, loud and clear, the message you intend them to have.
I mean, come on, people.
Actually, it was much simpler than that. I put the 4 words into Google, saw link, then copied those same 4 words into lmgtfy. Didn't bother with any of the robustness checks. Total of maybe 25 seconds, and far more fun than the alternative.
ReplyDeleteWouldn't have had I known you were strongly anti-lmgtfy ; folks round here use it for fun and teasing rather regularly. Last time I got blue screen of death, IT asked me for the dump file, I asked where to find that, they gave me a lmgtfy -- I reckoned it at least twice as fun as just getting the link. Opinions vary.
I think the use you describe may be the only reasonable use of lmgtfy.
ReplyDelete