Post feed
Comments feed

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Pink Floyd The Wall directed by Alan Parker

This is truly a great work of art. I love all the metaphor, and the animation is absolutely incredible. The symbolic completeness - from misogyny, consumerism and riots to World War II, Nazism and communism - is both perfect and confusing. The sheer number of different images with which we are bombarded, especially during the many animated sequences, often left me trying to work out what kind of world the film is set in. But at the end, besides an overwhelming impression of having experienced something utterly unique and wonderful, the main thing I was left with was the question, "why"? In particular, why was so much effort put into telling the really rather ordinary story of one man's ordinary psychological breakdown?

Some guy who left a comment on IMDB reckons, The only solution to not understaning [sic] the movie is watching it again and paying more attention. Once you get it, you will never forget it.

Personally I'd rather read something about it. This stuff is visual literature, and it's worthy of literary criticism.

5 comments:

  1. Is that the one with the walking hammers? I think I've seen parts of it, but I don't remember it being that complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's the one. So... many... different... symbols...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The walking hammers was also in the video for the single of "Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2".

    10 bonus points if you can name four movies and/or TV shows audible in the background (or visible in the film).

    ReplyDelete
  4. War film the first, war film the second, war film the third, and some war TV show, too.

    That music vid was also on the DVD. Coming after the movie, it didn't seem so great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gael,

    I agree with you. I remember seeing it for the first time in college and thinking it was the most genius piece of art I'd ever seen. Of course I was most likly under the influence of the holy herb at the time.

    After viewing it again recently, I still think it's pretty good. But as you say, it's a complicated way of telling the pretty basic story of a psychological breakdown.

    ReplyDelete

HTML and $\LaTeX$ both work here. Enclose your $\LaTeX$ code in "$" or "\[" as if you were using your favourite editor.