Post feed
Comments feed

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Inside Out: A personal history of Pink Floyd by Nick Mason

From the point of view of learning more about The Wall, this book is completely useless. Written by Pink Floyd's drummer, it focuses more on personalities and shows than the group's creative material. There's little about the inspiration or reason for The Wall in any of its incarnations.

I am interested to read, though, that apparently it was intended from the very beginning to take all of its different forms of album, stage show and film. The description of the stage show is rather diverting, especially the mechanics of constructing the wall. However there's nothing at all about what they were trying to achieve with The Wall concept, so I remain unenlightened.

There are a few things in the chapter on Syd Barrett's early decline that indicate he may have been part of the inspiration for the character of Pink (notably Barrett's appearance onstage at one show with rubber bands holding on his boots, which image now recalls the lyrics of Nobody Home). Seriously though, no one needs to read a book to figure that one out.

I need better information than this. My search goes on...

3 comments:

  1. that's strange .. I could have sworn I posted a comment this morning...

    ReplyDelete
  2. No sign of it in my comment-tracking box. What was it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing of any great import.

    I've got that book sitting here, waiting to be returned to a friend I borrowed it from a year or more ago. I thought it was very interesting, but then I guess I wasn't looking for quite the same thing you were.

    I recently bought a DVD of Pink Floyd's pefromance at the 1967 "14 Hour Technicolour Dream", which is quite interesting. There are also some interesting recent interviews with the band members on my "the maming of Dark Side of the Moon" DVD -- the ones with Roger Waters are quite relevent to The Wall.

    ReplyDelete

HTML and $\LaTeX$ both work here. Enclose your $\LaTeX$ code in "$" or "\[" as if you were using your favourite editor.