Post feed
Comments feed

Sunday, November 08, 2009

Headless $\TeX$

My personal choice of $\LaTeX$ bible, lshort.pdf, has this to say about messing around with the $\LaTeX$ page layout parameters.

Chapter 6 contains some potentially dangerous information about how to alter the standard document layout produced by $\LaTeX{}$. It will tell you how to change things such that the beautiful output of $\LaTeX$ turns ugly or stunning, depending on your abilities. (Preface, page v)

The implication is that $\LaTeX$ page layout is beautiful by default, and only by messing around with the parameters discussed in Chapter 6 is it possible to make it less beautiful. With this in mind, and considering that I've never so much as looked at Chapter 6, I was distressed to find the following remarkably unbeautiful output turning up in my documents.


Whenever I put anything in the header, it overlaps the page text. After some experimentation I realised this was caused by the fullpage package, which I've used since my first document to make everything line up nicely with the left margin. (Nested enumerated lists being a key part of any university assignment, it's not acceptable to have them as deeply indented as they are by default. I don't appreciate having my content forced into a two-inch column at the third nested level.)

So I can't do without the fullpage package, meaning I've had to do without headers for three years. Is there a less stupid way to fix this problem?

No comments:

Post a Comment

HTML and $\LaTeX$ both work here. Enclose your $\LaTeX$ code in "$" or "\[" as if you were using your favourite editor.